Have you ever experienced acute, sharp pain in the right or left back or flank? Then be careful! It may be because of kidney stones. Now you must be eager to know, what are kidney stones? How they are formed? Formation of kidney stones is one of the most common health problems. Kidney stones are present in the form of hard deposits inside the kidneys or urinary tract. Let’s find out in detail about causes, symptoms and treatment of kidney stones.
Get Rid of Kidney Stones with Natural Treatment
A kidney stone is a hard deposition of crystals made from minerals and acid salts formed inside the kidneys or ureter. The medical term for kidney stones is nephrolithiasis. There are different types of kidney stones depending upon the mineral deposits such as calcium stones, uric acid stones, cystine stones and struvite stones. Among them, calcium stones are most common that are formed due to calcium oxalate crystals. Major risk factors for developing kidney stones are inadequate intake of water and liquids, diet that is high in sugar, sodium and proteins and certain health problems like obesity, digestive disorders like chronic diarrhea or inflammatory bowel disease, gastric bypass surgery. A person with personal or family history of kidney stones is also at higher risk. Gender and age factor also matter in case of kidney stones.
Causes of Kidney Stones:
No single factor or cause is responsible for the formation of kidney stones. The main cause for kidney stones is saturation of urine with excess salts like calcium or uric acid salts. Dehydration, inadequate intake of liquids and decreased quantity of urine can also lead to formation of kidney stones. Certain vegetables and fruits high in oxalate levels as well as higher doses of vitamin D may lead to increased concentration of calcium or oxalate in urine. Factors like protein-rich diet, less intake of liquids or medical conditions like gout are responsible for uric acid stones. Infections like urinary tract infection can give rise to struvite stones. Now let’s take a look at the symptoms of kidney stones.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones:
You may not experience any symptoms until stone moves within the kidney or it passes through the ureter. The symptoms include:
- acute and intense pain in the back and side below the ribs
- spreading of pain to lower abdomen and groin with fluctuation in intensity
- increased and painful urination
- foul-smelling, cloudy urine with brown or red color
- nausea and vomiting, chills, fever in case of infection
Diagnosis of Kidney Stones:
Diagnosis is done on the basis of urine tests, blood tests like to determine calcium and uric acid levels and imaging tests like abdominal x-ray, ultra-sonography, CT scan and pyelography.
Treatments to Remove Kidney Stones
Small sized kidney stones can be treated by increasing daily intake of water and fluids (2-3 liters daily). Pain can be relieved by using painkillers. Medical therapy known as ‘alpha blocker’ is used to relax muscles in the ureter that helps to pass the stone more easily without causing much pain.
Large kidney stones need some medical procedures like extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (SWL), which includes the use of sound waves to produce strong vibrations to break the stone into small pieces. Disadvantages of this procedure include bleeding around the kidney, feeling of discomfort and bruising while passing the stone fragments and hematuria.
In case of failure of SWL procedure or very large kidney stone, a surgical procedure known as percutaneous nephrolithotomy is recommended. This procedure involves use of small telescopes and insertion of instrument called ureteroscope in the back. It may need general anesthesia and hospitalization for 1-2 days.
If the calcium stones are resulted from the overactive parathyroid glands due to formation of benign tumor, then parathyroid gland surgery is needed to remove tumor.
Whenever you undergo any surgical procedure, you have to face several side-effects. It is quite painful, troublesome and expensive. You also need hospitalization and more time for recovery. Besides, this procedure can affect some of your body parts. Kidney stone surgery is not an exception for that. That’s why, natural remedies are always preferable. They are without any side-effects, equally effective as well. Let’s understand in detail how to dissolve kidney stones naturally.
Passing Kidney Stones Naturally :
- Water and lemon: A very first step in treating kidney stones naturally is to increase consumption of water and fluids. Have minimum 8-10 glasses of water daily. Nonalcoholic and caffeine-free beverages can also be good choices. Since kidney stones are formed due to excessively concentrated urine, increased water intake helps to dilute urine and pass the stone easily. Add few drops of lemon juice in a glass of water twice or thrice a day. Citric acid present in lemon juice induces breakdown of calcium stones prevents further growth of these stones. But avoid higher doses of vitamin C supplements.
- Diet: Avoid food that is rich in oxalates such as spinach, beets, nuts, sweet potatoes, wheat bran and soy products. You can have calcium-rich foods, but avoid consumption of calcium supplements. Select a diet with fewer amounts of salt, sugar and animal protein. Have large amount of fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.
Home remedies for Dissolving Kidney Stones:
- Bran Flakes: When you are suffering from kidney stone, it is very important to have food rich in fibers like bran flakes. Higher content of fiber in bran flakes helps to reduce calcium concentration in urine, decreasing the risk of kidney stones.
- Nettle Leaf: It acts as natural diuretics and helps to maintain the water flow through kidneys and bladder, which promotes easy urination. Besides, nettle leaf helps to prevent formation of stones and bacterial infection. Daily intake of 2-3 cups of nettle tea is preferable in kidney stone problem.
- Basil: It is considered as a great tonic to maintain overall good health of kidneys. In kidney stone problem, you can take one teaspoon of basil juice mixed with equal amount of honey for six months. Or just chew 2-3 basil leaves everyday and it will promote expulsion of stone from the ureter.
- Kidney Beans: Kidney beans can be effectively used for treating any kind of problem of kidney and urinary bladder. They can be good option in treatment of kidney stones. Put the pods in hot water and boil for hours until they become tender. Strain and cool the liquid. Have it many times to relieve pain. Kidney beans can be taken in the form of salad or soup.
- Whole Wheat Bread: Whole grain foods like whole wheat bread are rich in fiber, proteins, nutrients and minerals like magnesium. Magnesium helps to prevent the crystals present in the kidney to form larger stones. Hence to reduce and prevent the stones, you should eat 2-3 slices of whole wheat bread daily. Along with this, your diet should include high fiber foods like whole grain cereals.
- Celery: Celery, due to its antiseptic properties, helps to relieve kidney stone pain. Celery juice also to remove toxins that are responsible for the formation of kidney stones. Besides, raw celery juice acts as a diuretic, which promotes breakdown of the stone. Consumption of a glassful of celery juice daily is beneficial to prevent further stone formation. Celery seeds can be used to prepare herbal tea that is effective for the treatment of kidney stones formed due to accumulation of uric acid crystals.
- Watermelon: It is the best treatment option for the kidney stones that are formed due to calcium and magnesium phosphates and carbonates. Watermelon contains potassium, which helps to maintain healthy kidneys by regulating acid levels in urine. Besides, watermelon contains high amount of water that helps to flush out stones from the kidneys.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate can be used in the form of both seeds and juice. Due to its astringent properties, it can be good treatment option for kidney stones.
To get more natural remedies for kidney stones, check out http://kidneystone.improvised-home-remedies.com/. This website provides good content about kidney stone problem and its natural and home remedies. These remedies are definitely effective without any side-effects.
To conclude, you can get rid of kidney stones using these easily available and cost effective natural and home remedies. But, it is said that prevention is always better than cure. By certain lifestyle changes, proper diet and maintaining good health, you can stay away from this problem.