Diabetic neuropathy is a type of nerve disorder that is associated with diabetes mellitus. People with chronic diabetes are at the risk of developing nerve damage in all the body organs such as heart, digestive tract, lungs and sex organs. It can cause loss of sensation, numbness and pain in legs or hands.
Approximately 70-80 percent people with diabetes suffer from peripheral neuropathy as a diabetes complication resulting from the microvascular injury to small blood vessels. There are four types of diabetic neuropathy depending upon the body parts affected, such as autonomic, peripheral, focal and proximal. Peripheral neuropathy is the most common form of diabetic neuropathy that affects arms, hands, legs, feet and toes.
Causes of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Prolonged exposure to high blood sugar levels is the main cause of nerve damage. There are several factors that can contribute to diabetic neuropathy such as:
– Neurovascular conditions such as damage to the blood vessels that transport nutrients and oxygen to the nerves
– Metabolic factors such as chronic diabetes, constant high blood sugar levels, elevated fat levels and reduced levels of insulin
– Mechanical nerve injury like carpal tunnel syndrome
– Inflammation in nerves due to autoimmune factors
– Increased susceptibility of nerve disorders due to heredity
– Lifestyle factors like excessive smoking or alcoholism
Symptoms of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Diabetic peripheral neuropathy mainly causes nerve damage in various body organs. It may interpret different symptoms in each individual. However, the most common symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy are loss of sensation and numbness in legs, feet, toes, arms and hands. Some other symptoms are cramps, sharp pain, tingling, burning sensation, touch sensitivity, muscle weakness and balance problem. These symptoms may be accompanied by digestive problems like vomiting, nausea, indigestion, constipation or diarrhea, problems with urination, fainting or dizziness due to decreased blood pressure after sitting or standing and sexual problems like erectile dysfunction in men and vaginal dryness in women.
Natural Remedies for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
When you notice the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy, you should opt for treatment at your earliest. But, you need not immediately go for harsh medications. There are some simple, but effective natural remedies that can give good results with consistent use. They can slow the progression of symptoms and minimize the damage.
Since this health problem is associated with diabetes, the best way to avoid is to control your diabetes with proper diet and home remedies. Also, it is necessary to keep the blood pressure under control. Because people with high blood sugar and high blood pressure are at increased risk of developing this complication due to damaged blood vessels and reduced blood flow.
In addition, regular exercising for 30 minutes improves blood circulation as well as helps to keep the blood pressure and blood sugar under control. If you are suffering from severe neuropathy, then you may opt for non-weight-bearing activities like swimming or bicycling. You have to quit smoking and alcoholism to avoid the risk of neuropathy.
Good foot care is very essential for the diabetics. You should clean your feet regularly and inspect them for any sores, blisters, cuts, redness or swelling. Wash your feet daily and pat dry them. Apply a good quality moisturizer to prevent dry, cracked skin. Always use clean, soft cotton socks. Use perfect-fitting shoes. Also protect your hands with gloves.
Consumption of a balanced, nutritious diet is always beneficial for overall good health. When suffering from diabetic peripheral neuropathy, your diet should be aimed to control blood sugar and blood pressure. Foods that are less in sugar and refined carbohydrates can help to control blood sugar levels. To keep the blood pressure under control, follow a low-fat and low-salt diet. Eating more fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and foods rich in fibers is always advantageous for the diabetics. Vitamin B complex is found to reduce nerve pain; hence foods rich in vitamin B are recommended.
– Omega-3 fatty acids can provide healthy fats that help to soothe nerves and relieve inflammation and pain due to peripheral neuropathy. You can get omega-3 fatty acids from flax seeds, borage oil and primrose oil.
– Application of cayenne pepper combined with coconut or olive oil helps to relive neuropathy pain.
– Gogi berries can effectively repair nerve damage.
– California poppy gives good results in calming nerve pain. Due to its anti-spasmodic properties, it soothes anxiety and nervousness.
– Another excellent home remedy is passion flower that helps to calm and repair nerves.
– Lobelia mainly gives antispasmodic effects for the nerves as well as for the respiratory and digestive systems.
– Prickly ash bark, when used in small quantity, acts as a stimulant and helps to increase blood circulation to the nerves.
– Herbal oils such as geranium and primrose oils can be used to eliminate neuralgia pain. Primrose oil, due to its omega-6 fatty acid content, helps to improve nerve function. Lavender oil gives relaxing effect, when applied on the affected body part.
Improvised Home Remedies
If you are more worried about your health problem and want to get early relief, then there is a good option for you. Dr. Randall C. Labrum has brought a simple and safe treatment program for ending nerve pain through his eBook – The Peripheral Neuropathy Solution. This 6-step guide gives quick relief from chronic peripheral neuropathy and diabetic nerve pain in hands and arms as well as feet and legs. The special thing about these remedies is that they give life-time results as they correct pain by restoring damaged peripheral nerve endings. You can download this eBook and get more information from http://theneuropathysolution.improvised-home-remedies.com/
The consequences of diabetic peripheral neuropathy can be life-threatening. Hence it should be managed by immediate attention and powerful home remedies. With controlled blood sugar levels and lifestyle improvements, you can surely overcome this harmful health condition.