Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD/ADD) can be described as a group of behavioral symptoms such as hyperactivity, inattentiveness and impulsive behavior. It is a common chronic psychiatric disorder affecting mainly children and adolescents and persists in adulthood. There are three major subtypes of ADHD such as predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, predominantly inattentive and combined hyperactive-impulsive and inattentive.
What are the symptoms of ADHD?
Inattention, impassivity and hyperactivity are the major symptoms of ADHD. These symptoms cause difficulty in paying attention, difficulty in following the instructions, problems with organizing tasks or activities, frequent daydreaming, forgetfulness, losing essential things, failure to finish schoolwork or other tasks, frequent distraction, frequent fidgets or squirms, restlessness, impatience and interrupting others’ conversations. ADHD is more common in males than females and the symptoms may appear differently in both. Girls tend to more inattentive, while boys show hyperactivity.
What Causes ADHD ?
There are a number of factors that can contribute to ADHD such as heredity, genes, imbalance of brain chemicals, brain injuries, changes in the areas of brain controlling attention, environmental factors and dietary factors like consumption of refined sugar and food additives.
How to Get Rid of ADHD Naturally
Children with ADHD may face the problems like poor performance in school, troubled relationship and low self-esteem. Adults with ADHD may find difficulty with organization skills, time management and goal setting. Hence, ADHD should be treated immediately, soon after the symptoms are noticed, so that the disease won’t affect the future life.
– A child with ADHD needs a lot of affection and support from the parents. Spend enough time with your child and appreciate for his/her good qualities. Find out the ways to improve self-discipline and self-esteem of your child. You need to remain calm and patient when dealing with your child.
– Regular exercises play an important role in reducing the symptoms of ADHD. Physical activities like dancing, martial arts or gymnastics boost the levels of dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain, which enhance attention and focus.
– Enough quantity of sleep and rest can benefit to rapidly improve the symptoms of ADHD. You need to set a regular bedtime schedule for your child.
– Diet and nutrition can make a large improvement in ADHD. ADHD diet improves the functioning of brain and reduces the symptoms. Make a proper schedule of meals or snacks. This will help to maintain the blood sugar levels, leading to reduced irritability and improved concentration.
– Your diet should contain high amount of proteins like eggs, meat, cheese and nuts and complex carbohydrates like vegetables and fruits like kiwi, oranges, pears, grapefruits and apples.
– Consume less quantity of simple carbohydrates like corn syrup, sugar honey, white rice and white flour.
– Including foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as sardines, salmon, tuna, walnuts, some fortified eggs and milk products in your diet can help to improve impulsivity, hyperactivity and concentration in children as well as in adults.
– Your diet should be rich in fresh vegetables and fruits that provide all the essential vitamins and minerals.
There are some herbs that work best to reduce the ADHD symptoms. With their regular use, you can get better results.
- Bacopa/Brahmi acts as calming and sedative agent. It can help to improve intellectual capacity, concentration and clarity of thought.
- Another effective herb that can be used to treat ADHD is California poppy. It is a mild sedative that can relieve emotional and psychological disturbances in children. It soothes the overactive nervous system. It can also decrease spasms and reduce tension in overactive state.
- Ginkgo biloba improves blood circulation to the brain and increases memory, perception, memory, focus and cognition.
- Grape seed extract consists of bioflavonoids with antioxidant effects, which is capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier and protect the brain against a variety of toxins and free radicals.
- A hop is another herb that minimizes restlessness, excitability, nervous tension and irritability. Also, it is an excellent tonic for insomnia.
- Oats provide good nutrition to the nervous system and reduce nervousness and stress. It also improves focus and mental concentration.
- Another choice of herb is St. John’s Wort. It calms nervous system and regulates mood and attention. It eliminates the feeling of nervousness and low self-esteem.
Don’t let ADHD spoil the future of your child. Provide him/her with all the benefits of natural treatment and boost his/her self-esteem and confidence to compete in the world’s race.